The Arnie Charbonneau Cancer Institute Executive Committee provides operational oversight and decision making for the Institute. The committee meets monthly and is responsible for overseeing the creation and implementation of the Institute’s research, education, peer mentorship, communication, and equity, diversity, and inclusion strategies and operational plans.
- Dr. Jennifer Chan (Chair)
- Dr. Corinne Doll
- Dr. Doug Mahoney
- Ms. Melissa Shea-Budgell
- Ms. Carmen Coelho
- Ms. Shilpa Salgia
- Dr. Aaron Goodarzi
- Dr. Jennifer Corcoran
- Dr. Gareth Williams
- Dr. Darren Brenner
- Dr. Paola Neri
- Dr. Fiona Schulte
- Dr. Doreen Ezeife
- Ms. Allie Miller
- Mr. Kyle Heemskerk
- Ms. Stephanie Hawes
The Research and Innovation committee identifies, develops, and implements strategies to enhance Charbonneau research programs. The committee meets monthly and meets its objective by:
- Identifying opportunities for new research initiatives and/or further development of existing programs.
- Identifying needs for new infrastructure to support and enhance our research programs.
- Identifying areas and develop ideas for recruitment of new researchers.
- Identifying new points of collaboration and synergy across Charbonneau research programs, and between Charbonneau and research groups across the Faculty, University or AHS.
- Identifying opportunities for research commercialization.
Co-Chairs: Dr. Danny Heng and Dr. Paola Neri
The Trainee Education and Professional Development Committee oversees our Institute’s education program, which cuts across all themes and disciplines of research. The Trainee Education and Professional Development Committee seeks to develop the next generation of scientists and leaders in cancer research by.
- Developing and implementing opportunities to enhance the trainee research experience.
- Developing opportunities for trainees to present their research.
- Developing the Institute’s strategies to recruit new trainees.
- Identifying and implementing opportunities for trainees to enhance their research, communication and professional skills.
- Identifying and developing resources to guide trainees through their choice of career paths.
- Recognizing, promoting, and celebrating trainee successes.
Chair: Dr. Gareth Williams
The Faculty Development and Mentorship Committee promotes initiatives to help faculty members maximize their research and leadership potential. The committee meets monthly and its objectives focus on:
- Providing mentorship to faculty throughout their research careers.
- Implementing Institute programs to provide peer review for grants and research programs.
- Developing opportunities for faculty members to enhance professional and leadership skills.
- Recognizing, promoting, and celebrating faculty successes.
Co-Chairs: Dr. Fiona Schulte and Dr. Jennifer Corcoran
The Community Engagement Committee promotes and showcases Charbonneau to our broad scientific and public communities by highlighting what we do, how we meet the community’s needs, and why our research matters. The committee’s objectives focus on:
- Identifying and developing opportunities for public outreach and communication.
- Developing and maintaining the Institute’s website, social media platforms, newsletter, and other communications to showcase our research successes.
- Enlisting Institute members to engage in scientific and public outreach.
Chair: Dr. Aaron Goodarzi
Building on existing strategies developed by Alberta Health Services and the University of Calgary, the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee will help translate EDI principles into clear action plans within the Institute. The committee objectives are to:
- Develop approaches for furthering equity, diversity, and inclusion across all activities within the Institute.
- Identify ways to strengthen inclusion for groups who experience marginalization.
- Perform self-assessment and data gathering on diversity and inclusion within the Institute.
- Raise awareness of issues relating to EDI across the cancer research spectrum.
Co-Chairs: Dr. Doreen Ezeife